Cold sores can be painful and quite uncomfortable. This is enough reason to want to get rid of cold sores as quickly as possible. It sometimes sneaks in unnoticed and you would just assume it is a reaction. But when the rest of the symptoms set in, you will surely be looking for how to get rid of cold sores.
If this is you, we have good news for you.
You can actually get rid of cold sores fast without having to spend too much. All you need to do is to read further to discover the ways to get rid of cold sores fast.
Before I list out the ways to get rid of cold sores. There is a need to list out what can cause cold sores.
That way, you can stay informed and avoid these things that can lead to cold sores.
Causes of Cold Sores
Cold sore which is also called fever blisters are as a result of viral infection. They usually appear as clusters of tiny blisters on the lip or mouth.
They are caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 which can be easily treated.
So, how do you get cold sores?
This virus can be passed from one person to the next through saliva. This can be through drinking of water from a glass cup of an infected person or by skin contact.
Stress can also cause a cold sore. This means emotional and mental stress can lead to a cold sore.
Also illness, dental treatment can cause trauma to the lips or sun exposure can lead to a cold sore breakout.
That being said, are cold sores contagious?
Yes, they are and core sores are most contagious when oozing blisters are present.
However, one can still transmit this virus to others even without the blisters. It can be transferred through using utensils, razors, and towels of an infected person.
In addition, oral sex can spread HSV-1 to the genitals and HSV-2 to the lips.
That being said, you need to know what can trigger herpes and these things are fatigue, hormonal changes, and changes in your immune system.
Cold Sores Symptoms
What are cold sore symptoms? They are;
- Burning sensation around your lips
- Painful hard spot around the lips
- Fever, blister
- Muscle ache and
Here are ways to get rid of cold sores fast.
How to Get Rid of Cold Sores Fast at Home
1. Try Ice
An Ice cube can be used to reduce the pain and also reduce swelling of the cold sores. It can also help to get rid of itching.
The good part is that it has no side effect and it is a very simple way to get relief from cold sores infection without having to spend money on medicine.
- Apply the ice a couple of times on the affected area about two times a day.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is known as a natural remedy for different infections and it has worked wonders.
It can be used as a home remedy for cold sores. This oil contains antiviral, antibiotic, and antifungal properties.
These properties help to destroy any form of invaders in the body.
These properties in coconut oil can help to boost immunity level, reduce the effect of the viral infection such as cold sore in the body.
Below are ways to apply coconut oil to a cold sore
Immediately you feel a cold sore developing,
- Get a cotton swab and pour a bit of coconut oil on it.
- Apply the cotton swab directly on the spot.
- Now, repeat this application every hour.
- Also, you can take a spoon to 3 spoons of coconut oil to kill the virus internally.
3. Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Cold Sores
Apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial properties which can be utilized to get rid of cold sore.
Apple cider vinegar provides a lot of benefit to the body such as promote weight loss, reduce cholesterol in the body, lowers blood sugar level which helps to improve the symptoms of diabetes.
Another one of the common benefits of apple cider vinegar is that it can be used to get rid of cold sore fast.
However, it is good to note that there is no scientific evidence to back up the effectiveness of apple cider vinegar in treating cold sore.
But, more people have testified to the evidence of this effective home remedy.
Apple cider vinegar performs its functions by reducing the pain and also shrinking the sore which makes it disappear faster.
It also gets rid of the inflammation while relieving you of the pain.
Apple cider vinegar works by balancing the PH level of the skin.
This process dries off the content of the cold sore by removing any fluid and drying up the wound area.
This cold sore treatment also boosts your immunity level.
This helps to fight away any form of infection and also prevents the spread of the infection to different areas in the body.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Treating Cold Sores
- Fill a small bowl with apple cider vinegar.
- Put a small amount of cotton wool ball into the vinegar.
- Squeeze the wool to remove any excess vinegar from it.
- Now apply directly to the sore area and place it there for some minutes (You might feel a sharp pain around the sore area during the first application)
- Now gently rinse your face with warm water to get rid of any excess vinegar on your face
- Another way to use apple cider vinegar is by drinking it.
- Pour one tablespoon in a cup of water and drink.
- Ensure you rinse your mouth after consuming this liquid and brush your teeth to get rid of bad breath.
- Ensure you do this 3 times daily to get a good result.
4. Use Garlic
Garlic is a natural herb which most people use for cooking and for medicinal purposes.
Garlic provides a lot of benefits to the body.
These benefits are:
- They are good for treating cold and flu, they prevent heart disease.
- It also prevents cancer and it also purifies the blood.
Garlic is great for getting rid of cold sore because it contains antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-parasitic properties.
Here is how to make use of garlic to get rid of cold sores fast
- Cut the garlic into half and place it directly under the sore area.
- Apply the clove on the infected area four times in a day for 10 mins.
- You can also eat raw garlic first thing in the morning to get a better result and to get rid of cold sore inside mouth.
5. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is one of the cold sores remedies which in its natural state helps to get rid of a cold sore on lips.
It contains anti-microbial and antiviral properties which help to fight away infections from the body.
Peppermint oil has been used over the years to get rid of cold sore. It is very effective when applied at the first stage of the infection.
How to use Peppermint Oil as Cold Sores Treatment
- Add a drop of peppermint oil to a cotton bud and place it gently on the sore area.
- Dab it slightly and don’t rub it.
- Repeat it two to three times in a day or until you get relieved.
6. Lemon Balm Oil
Lemon balm which is commonly called Melissa officinalis. This is a lemon-scented herb which is known for its calming and anti-inflammatory effects.
The benefits of lemon balm oil are as follows:
- Reduce inflammation.
- Reduce depression and anxiety.
- Improves memory and brain function.
- Promotes weight loss.
- It helps to treat colon cancer.
- It has anti-cancer effects.
- Protects the skin against UV rays.
Lemon balm oil contains natural lipophilic properties which means it can easily remove and get rid of toxins that have entered the bloodstreams of the body.
How to Apply Lemon Balm Oil
- Get a cotton bud and add a few drops of lemon balm oil ( Get one here) to the cotton oil.
- Place the cotton oil to the sore area and leave it there for some minutes.
- Ensure you apply it thrice a day.
Salt is generally used to add taste to food and also for food preservation purposes.
But do you know salt also provides other healing benefits to the body? One of such benefits is getting rid of cold sore.
Salt performs the role of an antiseptic which draws out moisture and fluid from the infected sore area.
It also prevents bacteria from spreading. It drains out the moisture from the sore area.
This makes it difficult for it to grow further. Salt can also be used to get rid of a canker sore.
Here is How to use salt to Get Rid of Cold Sores and Canker Sore.
- Get some salt.
- Ensure you wash your hands with water and antibacterial soap.
- Dip your hand into the salt and apply it on the infected area.
- For the canker sores, a saltwater rinse will do the magic.
- All you need is a 1 teaspoon of salt in 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Swirl the water mix in your mouth for 15 to 30 seconds then spit it out.
- Ensure you repeat this after some few hours till you get relieved.
8. Aloe Vera for Cold Sores
This is a natural remedy which can be used to get rid of cold sores.
Over the years, aloe vera has been used for different medicinal purposes and they provide these benefits below.
- It reduces dental plaques.
- Helps to treat canker sores.
- Promotes healthy skin and also prevents wrinkles.
- It lowers the blood sugar level.
- Boosts your immune system.
- It fights away cancer.
- Improves the symptoms of diabetes.
Aloe Vera provides anti-bacterial properties which help to speed up the healing process of cold sores.
It also fights away bacteria from the body which prevents a reoccurrence of cold sores in the body.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Cold Sores
- Place aloe vera gel directly on the cold sore area and leave it on
- You should do it as many times as possible to speed up the healing process.
9. Petroleum Jelly
This helps to get rid of core sores on lips. Petroleum jelly helps to prevent the spread and outbreak of cold sore.
Vaseline helps to keep the sore moist and it prevents bleeding. It also prevents cracking.
Ensure you wash your hands thoroughly before applying petroleum jelly to the affected area.
You can wear a glove when applying petroleum jelly to the affected area. This is to prevent the spread to other areas of the body.
10. Honey for Cold Sore
This is one of the quickest ways to get rid of cold sores. Honey is a natural product that is sweet, thick and it is produced by bees from the nectar of flowers.
Honey contains a high amount of concentrated sugar which is in form of fructose and glucose.
A large amount of sugar in honey makes it difficult for bacteria and fungus to act on the body.
Additionally, honey provides a whole lot of benefits to the body and they are listed below.
Honey contains antioxidants which help to lower blood pressure. It also improves cholesterol level, it has been liked to promote a healthy heart, and it also suppresses coughs in children.
Honey also contains a whole lot of nutrients which is great for the body.
Honey is great for getting rid of cold sores due to the presence of phenolic and flavonoids which fights against the herpes simplex virus.
This is because babies under the age of one have immune systems that are gradually developing and this can lead to infections or several other adverse conditions for the baby.
How to Use Honey for Cold Sores
- Use a cotton bud to apply honey on the sore area.
- Leave it on for 5-7 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
11. Tea Tree Oil
This oil contains antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral and antifungal properties. It helps to speed up the healing process of cold sores
Ensure you dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil before application. This is to prevent irritation.
Use it twice daily only. ( Order tea tree oil here)
Toothpaste on Cold Sores, Does it Work?
These are some of the cold sores remedies. However, over the years many people have asked this question about cold sore which is “Toothpaste on cold sores, does it work?”
The answer is no. Toothpaste can bring some sort of relieve but it cannot deal with the cause of the infection.
Other studies have discovered that toothpaste can lead to more irritation and worsen the cold sores.
However, if you mix toothpaste with baking soda, and apply it the affected area it may help dry out cold sores
In conclusion, cold sores stages come with different symptoms. You should note that it can be treated from home during its early stage.
Most importantly, if after some days of applying these home remedies for cold sores and there are little or no changes, then you should contact your doctor.
No is it you turn. Which of the home remedies for cold sores are you going to try first? Leave a comment below