Pink eye (conjunctivitis) is an irritating, annoying infection of the outermost layer of the eye itself.
The infection may be bacterial or viral in nature, but it does spread quickly through pollen and other allergic substances.
While it can clear up on its own, there are at least 10 home remedies to get rid of pink eye that you can use to alleviate the symptoms.
But before we move on to pink eye treatment, let’s talk about the causes and symptoms of conjunctivitis –pink yes
Pink Eye, conjunctivitis, Symptoms
- Feeling of burning sensation in the eyes
- Slight pain and soreness in the conjunctiva
- Excessive tearing
- Redness in the white of the eyes
- Yellow-green oozing or drainage from the eye that may result in the eyelashes to glum together and form a crust over the night
- Inflammation of the upper eyelid, making the lid appear droopy
- Pink discoloration of the whites of one or both eyes
- Increased sensitivity to light
Causes of Pink Eye Symptoms
- Viruses’ conjunctivitis
- Bacteria conjunctivitis (e.g. Gonorrhoea or chlamydia)
- Irritants conjunctivitis in the eyes like shampoos, dirt, smoke, and pool chlorine
- Allergies conjunctivitis, like dust, pollen, or a special type of allergy that affects some contact lens wearers
How to Get Rid of Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Fast
1. Aloe Vera
It will reduce the swelling and kills off the bacterial infection quickly.
A research published in Pharmaceutical Biology found that aloe Vera gel can be used on human corneal cells safely. Researchers revealed that Aloe Vera extracts can be used in eye drops to cure inflammation and other health problems of external parts of the eye
2. Boric Acid
A common treatment for cuts and scrapes, be sure to mix it with a large amount of water to avoid any potential irritation from the acid itself. (Get Boric Acid Here)
This is a herb that has antibacterial and antiviral properties which makes it one of the best ways to get rid of pink eye.
- 2 teaspoons of Calendula
- Put two teaspoons of calendula in hot water
- Then let it cool and strain it through a cheesecloth or paper coffee filter
- Use the mixture as an eyewash or as a hot compress with a washcloth.
4. Cucumber Slices for Pink Eyes
One of the best easy ways to get rid of pink eye, cucumbers are not just for spa treatments. They
have plenty of minerals and water to help reduce the inflammation and treat the infection directly.
- Washed sliced cucumber
How to apply
- Take two slices of cucumber, soak them in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Then place them over your eyes.
- Do this for days until you get a better result
5. Use Honey for Pink Eye
Mix honey with water that has been boiled and when it cools, use it as an eye rinse. Honey has anti-bacterial properties that kill the infection.
6. Ice cubes
Put ice in an ice pack and place it over the infected eye. While it will not kill off the bacteria or viral infection, it will greatly reduce the swelling and inflammation.
Plus, it works well for eyes that are sensitive to having other properties placed on it.
7. Lemon Juice
The one he easy ways to treat pink eye. While concentrated lemon juice will burn your eyes, if you dilute it with enough water it will not cause any irritation on its own.
The citric acid in lemon juice will kill the bacterial or viral infection while helping to flush out the eye to speed recovery.
8. Mountain Grape
The Barbary plant has been used for many years to treat bacterial and viral infections thanks to berberine.
Do this – Boil the plant in water, let it cool and then use it as a rinse for both eyes.
9. Green Tea for Pink Eye
This one is easy, take a moist tea bag and place it over your eye for a few minutes. Do this several times a day and the inflammation will recede.
Tea contains properties that treat viral and bacterial infections, so this is an effective treatment.
It may seem strange to use yogurt, but the poultice in yogurt can be applied to the infected eye two to three times per day which will reduce the redness and swelling.
It may take a couple of days, but the pink eye will start to fade away.
These are some of the best home remedies for pink eye that really work with items that you may find in your own kitchen.