Mold will grow anywhere conducive for its existence. That includes certain areas in our homes. There are lots of products to get rid of mold but most of them are harsh chemicals.
They work well but are not safe for us, our pets, or the environment.
This is why we are presenting you with mold natural remedies to help get rid of mold.
Mold is a type of fungus that is found in buildings and homes especially in areas where there is moisture.
This is why mold is quite prevalent in your bathrooms and basements.
It is not toxic by itself but the Center for Disease Control says release substances that can be toxic. More reason to get rid of mold.
Molds can cause certain health issues if left uncurbed:
The Institute of Medicine found out that there is enough evidence to think that molds can be associated with upper respiratory tract symptoms if exposed to large amounts over a long period.
Now you know that mold is not something you want to tolerate.
You have to get rid of mold where you see it and you don’t have to complicate things by using unsafe means that can further put you in harm’s way.
How To Get Rid of Mold Naturally at Home
There are other safe ways you can get rid of mold in your home.
In fact, it is likely that most of the ingredients you will need are already in your pantry or somewhere in your kitchen.
The following are natural ways to get rid of the mold:
1. White Vinegar to Remove Mold
White vinegar has a lot of domestic uses so it is not a surprise it is something that is available in most houses.
If you don’t already have it, you should get it if you want to get rid of mold.
Distilled white vinegar has a pungent smell that can be repulsive to a lot of people.
To mask the smell, you can add some drops of essential oil to the vinegar before you use.
However, the smell does not always last that long so, you could just use it as is and go to work or do other things.
By the time you are done, the smell will be gone.
Research has shown that white vinegar can kill 82 percent of mold spores. Bacteria and viruses too can’t stand white vinegar.
The best way to use it is through a spray bottle.
You can spray the vinegar directly on the mold and leave it for a while.
Afterward, you can scrub it and watch the mold go with it.
2. Tea Tree Oil for Mold
This is an effective way to get rid of mold on wood and right about any other surface.
All the contents are natural and you won’t have anything to fear for your kids or pets.
The naturally occurring Tea tree oil does a great job to get rid of mold in different areas in your home.
- Tea tree oil
- Spray bottle
How to prepare:
- Fill up a spray bottle with water.
- Add about 15 drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Shake the bottle well so the oil can mix in.
- Spray the contents on the surface you want to get rid of mold on.
- Leave on for about two hours.
- Afterward, respray the area and then wipe off.
3. Vodka To Get Rid of Mold
We are not about to do a bottom-up competition here.
Vodka is actually a great ingredient to clean.
Let me share a little secret with you, I use a vodka spray to get rid of mold on the carpet!
The amazing thing about this method is that the cheaper the vodka, the better it is to get rid of mold.
That’s not all, it is even easy to use.
No mixing, no special application.
All you have to do is to fill up a spray bottle with the vodka and it is ready to get rid of mold.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide for Black Mold
This is one of the most potent ingredients you can use to clean and disinfect your home.
Studies have proven its efficacy to clean and disinfect. It is even used for cleaning in ICUs of hospitals.
This cleaning agent is also simple and straightforward to use.
- All you need to do is to pour it in a spray bottle and apply.
- Spray a good amount of hydrogen peroxide squirts on any surface you need to get rid of mold from.
- Leave it there for about 10 minutes.
- Afterward, scrub the surface clean and wipe off with a damp cloth.
If you want, you could add some white vinegar to the hydrogen peroxide to make it even more effective.
This is a great way to get rid of mold in the shower as that is one of the places mold concentrate in the home.
5. Citrus Seed Extract to Get Rid of Mold
This is another effective way to get rid of mold in your home.
One good thing about this one is that unlike vinegar, it does not leave a smell behind.
So, a citrus seed extract such as grapefruit will work well to get rid of mold without giving you any hassles with the smell.
How to Apply It
- Put 2 cups of it in a spray bottle and add 20 drops of the extract.
- Shake well before use and spray on the surface with mold.
- In this case, you don’t necessarily need to rinse it off.
6. Baking Soda for Black Mold
It would have been a huge miss out if this list was published without baking soda in it.
This is one ingredient that is common in most homes and it has a tremendous array of uses.
Baking soda for mold removal is quite easy to use and it also does not leave any odor behind. It is a mild ingredient yet a natural disinfectant.
How to Use Baking Soda for Mold
- If you want, you could mix some vinegar with a baking soda solution to get rid of mold.
- Alternatively, you could use it with just water and it will still perform great to get rid of mold.
- Just pour a baking soda-water mixture into a spray bottle apply as needed.
7. Invest in an Air Conditioner or a Dehumidifier
As you know, mold thrives in humid areas.
So it is best to keep the humidity in your home at a certain level.
Generally, humidity indoors should be around 40 percent. You can get a hydrometer to keep an eye on the humidity levels.
Another great way to get rid of mold spores in the air is to buy a dehumidifier or install air conditioner in areas of your home that are damp.
Keeping the humidity at a certain level will prevent the growth of mold which will save you from the health implications of exposure.
- 8 Fastest Ways to Get Rid of Mice Naturally at Home
- How to Get Rid of Silverfish Naturally -14 Home Remedies
There are lots of other ways you can get rid of mold but we told you that our suggestions will be natural and they are.
It is bad enough to be exposed to molds, it is even worse to be exposed to the harsh chemicals that are used to clean them.
Using these ways we have provided are inexpensive, easy to use, effective, and safe for you and your family. What more could anyone ask for?