There is a slime obsession sweeping through the nation and our kids have fully embraced it. Different recipes have cropped up on how to make slime because it has been embraced by the kids. Slime making is easy and full of fun. Also, there is no denying that slime can be super addictive.
Making slime is an affordable way of keeping our kids busy. The young hands tend to get addicted easily to their new-found love.
You might want to consider allowing your children try out this fun do-it-yourself piece of the craft if you are a busy parent.
It keeps your kids occupied for some time and also allows them to explore their creative senses.
There are so many varieties of slime with different ways of making them. Many videos and articles have cropped up on the internet about slime making.
We have compiled a list of the most popular and easiest ways to make slime. Detailed below, are the ingredients, and also the directions to make each type of slime.
How To Make Slime – Easy Safe Slime Recipe for Kids
1. How to Make Slime with Borax
Also known as the glow-in-the-dark slime, making slime with borax is a favorite among the kids especially during Halloween. It is the simplest slime recipe available.
Borax is also known as Sodium tetraborate. As a parent, you must, however, supervise the kids when using the Borax method to make lime. Borax can be dangerous if swallowed.
- School glue
- Food coloring
- Warm water
- Two Bowls
How to Prepare
- Mix ¼ bottle of glue with ¼ cup of water.
- Add food coloring to the mixture to make the smile colored.
- Also, add ¼ cup of the Borax solution and begin to stir slowly.
- The slime should begin to form immediately.
- Lift some of the solutions with the stir stick to confirm the changes.
- Stir as much as you can.
2. How to Make Slime with Polyvinyl Alcohol
This type of slime is often considered as the best slime in the world. By using the Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) mixed with Borax, you can create any variation of slime that you want.
Slime made with PVA is sometimes referred to as “commercial” or “professional” slime. These are the type of slime that you find in toy stores.
- ½ cup of Polyvinyl alcohol (PVA)
- 2 teaspoons of Borax
- A bowl
- Food coloring
- Pour ½ cup of the polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) into a bowl
- Add food coloring to the PVA and stir with a stick. The food coloring will give you a colored lime.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Borax to the PVA solution and continue stirring slowly.
- Lift some of the solutions with the stick and observe the changes.
- Once your lime has formed, you can play with it.
- Seal it in a plastic bag and keep it in the refrigerator to prevent it from drying and growing mold.
3. How to make the Glitter Galaxy Slime (without Borax)
The glitter galaxy slime is an easy and fun slime for kids. The name comes from the bright colors and sparkles that the slime brings out once it forms.
It is an inexpensive and fun way to engage your kids in this holiday. The ingredients for this slime can be found on Amazon.
Slime Recipe Without Borax for Kids
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir the mixture and check if the slime has formed.
- You can then knead the dough to add strength and get a teal colored slime.
- Add acrylic paint to the mixture to get some more color.
- Place them side by side and mix them all together to get a beautiful glitter galaxy slime.
4. How to Make the Giant Bubblegum Slime
Like the name suggests, the giant bubblegum slime is a big slime that has a fluffy texture. It is a super strong slime with a beautiful pink color.
There is no way your kids will not fall in love with this slime. However, you should prevent your kids from eating this slime as it is not edible.
The ingredients and directions for making the giant bubblegum slime are below;
Fluffy Slime Recipe
- 1 cup of white school glue
- 3-8 ounce of liquid starch
- Pink food coloring
- Bubblegum candy oil (optional)
- Mix the glue with several drops of the pink food coloring in a bowl.
- Add in the bubblegum oil if you are using it.
- Then slowly add the liquid starch and mix thoroughly.
- By now, our beautiful bubblegum slime should have formed.
5. How to Make Crunchy Slime With Baking Soda
This is a favorite among kids that want to take slime making beyond the simple and basic ones. This method is made using the fishbowl beads. It is also known as fishbowl or geode slime.
This type of slime is simple and easy to make as long as you have the right supplies and follow the right directions.
Crunchy Slime Recipe With Baking Soda
- Elmer’s clear glue
- Baking Soda
- Food coloring
- Saline Solution that must contain either boric acid or sodium borate or both. They serve as slime activators.
- Fishbowl Beads
- A bowl, spoon and measuring cups.
- Add ½ cup of glue mixed with ½ cup of water.
- Add any food coloring of your choice.
- Mix in a ½ tablespoon of baking soda.
- Then add ¼ cup of the fishbowl beads.
- Lastly, add a tablespoon of saline solution and mix thoroughly until the slime takes shape.
( Read Also- How to Make Slime with Laundry Detergent (Tide) and Glue )
6. How to Make Metallic Slime
These are gorgeous and glistening gold or silver slime recipes your kids will fall in love with.
In addition to being fun for your kids, this type of slime can also educate them on how chemistry works. We have provided a simple guide on how to make slime of the metallic kind below.
Metallic Slime Recipe
- Elmer clear glue
- Tide laundry detergent
- Metallic paint
- A bowl
- A spoon to mix
- Pour about ½ bottle of glue into a bowl
- Add some metallic paint and mix thoroughly.
- Also, add liquid detergent to the bowl. Ensure you mix while adding.
- Now your metallic slime should start forming. You can then use your hand to massage the slime.
- Store the slime in a container and keep it in a fridge to prevent it from drying out.
7. How to Make Slime with Cornstarch
Making slime with cornstarch is a great alternative to using borax. This is because children can become careless with borax it can aggravate some people’s skin.
Your kids will definitely love a homemade slime with cornstarch.
Slime with Cornstarch Recipe
- Add in as much glue as you want into the container.
- Also, add any food coloring of your choice and mix well.
- Ensure you mix it thoroughly until you get a smooth color.
- Add in a significant amount of cornstarch and mix thoroughly.
- Now you have a beautiful and risk-free slime.
8. How to Make Edible Slime
Most of the homemade slime is non-toxic, with the exception of those that are made with borax.
However, we have decided to round up with this type of edible slime because there is none that tastes better.
This recipe is made from sweetened condensed milk and cornstarch. Your kids are definitely going to love this one.
Edible Slime Recipe
- 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk.
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Food coloring
- Vanilla or other flavorings you may desire.
- Add the milk to the cornstarch in a saucepan and place on a low heat.
- Also, add the food coloring and other flavors you desire and stir thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and allow the slime to cool.
- Your slime is ready to play with.
- You should store in a sealed container and put it in a refrigerator afterward.
There is no doubt about the fact that there is a new rave about slime all over the country. We don’t want our kids to miss out on these happy childhood memories and experiences. Engage your kids with the above how to make slime ingredients. Allow them to create and experiment with new designs. However, you should keep an eye out on them, though most recipes are safe for use.
You can give us feedback via the comment box below and also share your thought. How do you make easy homemade slime? How do you make slime without borax and glue and cornstarch?