Fleas are those blood-sucking parasites that are not only harmful to pets but also to humans. This is reason enough to want to get rid of fleas
They are also wingless and their color ranges from reddish to dark brown. They can move easily through animals because of their flat bodies.
Also, their back legs are stronger and longer. This feature makes it easy for them to cover a long distance while in search of which animal’s body to perch on.
Fleas are tiny and their eggs are even thinner.
These eggs are laid by the adult females after eating and they can take 2 days to 2 weeks to hatch.
This explains why it is imperative one look for ways to get rid of fleas.
Before going further to list and also explain how to get rid of fleas naturally, we love to look at the causes of fleas.
CAUSES OF FLEAS
Warm, Moist Places
Fleas are usually attracted to a warm and moist environment.
Therefore, you must take extra care of your environment during the warm season.
Fleas survive in infested or dirty areas.
They can reproduce and spread rapidly in such environments.
Hence, take out time to clean your environment regularly.
Carried by the Host Animal
When an animal is infected, it can easily spread the infection to other animals around.
Therefore, take out time to care for your animals.
Abandoned or Used Furniture
Another cause of flea is due to used furniture because fleas will easily see it as a place to reproduce.
Here are ways to prevent fleas:
- Always ensure your grasses are not overgrown and keep your shrubs trimmed.
If you live in a home with a yard, ensure you keep your grasses under control.
This will prevent them from hiding in hidden places in your home.
Make sure you keep shrubs far away from your house and far away from each other.
- Block wildlife animals from coming into your yard. Take out time to look for loopholes and block them to prevent wild animals.
This is because those loopholes can be used as access to your home.
- Don’t attract them in. Avoid any form of food item that can attract them into your yard.
- Use flea spray more often.
Run a flea comb or brush through your pet’s coat before giving your pet access to come in.
- Consider having your pet hair shaved during summer to easily spot any flea infection.
- Keep your home clean all the time. Thoroughly clean every corner in your house.
Clean the baseboards, furniture area, underneath it, everywhere the pet lays and spend time.
- Change the vacuum bags often or place a flea collar in the bag to kill the fleas.
- Clean your car, if you always have your pet in your car.
- Wash your pet’s bedding, toys in warm water weekly to get rid of fleas and larvae.
BEST 11 HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY AT HOME
1. Get Rid of Fleas with Baking Soda
This is one of the effective ways to use as a flea treatment.
It works by getting rid of fleas by removing fleas from the fibers of your carpets and furniture.
Here is how to make use of baking soda to get rid of fleas in carpet
- Lay down baking soda on your carpet and furniture.
- Take a firm brush and rub it into the fabric.
- Vacuum your home thoroughly and remove the contents of the vacuum into a bag and place it outside the trash can.
Also, apart from getting rid of flea, baking soda provides the following benefits
- It alleviates Urinary tract infection by reducing the acid level in urine.
- Boosts the kidney function in your body. It reduces the acid level in the body by keeping the PH level in check.
- It treats gout and other joint problems. The high level of uric acid in the urine and blood tissue can lead to pain and chronic diseases such as gout and arthritis.
- Baking soda can help to neutralize it.
- Prevents acne and pimples due to the anti-bacterial properties in the body.
- Helps in teeth whitening.
- It is also an exercise enhancer by preventing stiffness and muscular stiffness.
2. Salt for Fleas Remedy
This is a flea killer method and you can as well add this method on your lists of how to get rid of fleas naturally.
Salt is a good remedy because it is a natural way to kill flea eggs.
This is because salt performs the role of a dehydration agent.
Follow these steps below to get rid of Flea Busters
- Take some finely ground salt
- Sprinkle it all over the carpets in your rooms.
- Leave it on for 1-2 days
- Then vacuum thoroughly.
- Empty the content in a trash can outside
Here are other Benefits of Salt
- It facilitates proper sleep and cures depression. This is because salt produces serotonin which reduces stress and helps you to sleep better.
- Increase your body immunity level which helps to reduce the chances you falling sick.
- Serves as an antibiotic
- Prevents osteoporosis because it keeps the bones healthy.
- Good for dental care
- It prevents muscle spasms
However, you must take it in moderation.
3. Dish Soap
One of the ways on how to get rid of fleas naturally is by using dish soap.
It is one of the best pest control methods.
All you need to do is to create a flea trap using dish soap and add water to it.
Follow these steps below on how to get rid of bed bugs, sand fleas, and rat flea.
- Fill a plate or a bowl with a mixture of warm water and dish soap.
- Place it in the rooms or where the fleas are mostly seen.
- This will serve as a glue which will trap the fleas. This is due to the high viscosity of the soap solution.
Remember to repeat this method with a fresh batch of water each day.
Make sure you do this at night for an effective result and this is because fleas are nocturnal creatures.
4. Lemon Spray to Get Rid of Fleas
A lemon spray can be used to get rid of fleas.
If your house is infested by flea you can use the flea killer method.
Follow these steps below on how to get rid of fleas naturally
- Make a citrus spray to use in an infested area.
- Slice lemon thinly.
- Add a small amount of water to it and boil it.
- Leave it overnight.
- Pour it inside a spray bottle.
- Spray the content on the infested area.
5. Fleas Repelling Plants
There are some types of plant that contains specific or certain oils, chemical or compound which repels fleas.
These types of plants can be utilized to get rid of fleas.
These plants are:
- Penny Royals.
All you need to do is to plant one of these plants in your compound to prevent fleas or get rid of them.
6. Herbal Fleas Spray
This is one of the trusted and tested ways on how to get rid of fleas.
It can be utilized to get rid of fleas in carpet, kill flea eggs, flea busters, fleas on humans and fleas in human hair.
Herbal flea spray is a natural home remedy and the best side of using this home remedy is that it is non-toxic which makes it not harmful for your kids and pets.
How to make use of herbal flea spray for pest control
- Get 4 liters of vinegar
- Lemon juice (500ml)
- 250ml of witch hazel
- Big spray bottle
- Make sure you vacuum your home properly before using this product in your home.
- Empty the content in an empty can outside.
- Wash any beddings or cushions that could be infested.
- After doing that, apply the natural remedy inside your home using a heavy spray, spraying carpets, pet beddings, window blinds, furniture, and floors.
7. Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas
This is a flea treatment to get rid of fleas. It can be used in your flea infestation house.
Diatomaceous earth is the microscopic remains of fossilized algae, diatoms.
It is a smooth fine powder which is not harmful or toxic to human.
It is the best way to get rid of fleas because of the dehydration effect it provides.
You can get rid of fleas using diatomaceous earth by following these steps below:
- Sprinkle the powder over areas you suspect where there is high flea activity
- Apply it in thin layers.
- Leave it on for 2 days and vacuum thoroughly.
- Ensure you use a face mask to prevent eye irritation and throat irritation.
8. Kill Fleas with Comb
Making use of a flea comb can help to get rid of the flea.
All you need to get is a bowl of soapy water which is handy enough to soak in the remains once you comb the hair of your pet out.
Ensure you comb the neck and tail area thoroughly because fleas reside mostly in these areas.
9. Try Cedar Chips
Cedar chips can be used to get rid of cedar.
It is a natural remedy for pest control.
It can be used as essential for suppressing weeds and retains moisture in the soil.
Follow these steps to use cedar chips
- Get cedar chips
- Sprinkle it into your garbage cans to act as a natural remedy for getting rid of fleas.
10. Flea Power
This is one of the safest methods to get rid of fleas. It is an environmentally friendly product.
Before using this product, remove the beds in your home and have them cleared thoroughly.
Here is how to use a flea powder
- Sprinkle the flea powder along the perimeter of all the walls in your home.
- Remove the cushion from your furniture.
- Sprinkle the powder in the flea areas.
- Cover your floor area with it.
- Scratch or brush the powder inside the carpet until the powder is no longer visible.
11. Get a Vaccum
Another way on how to get rid of fleas is by getting a vacuum to adequately vacuum the carpet.
Then sprinkle the powder on your furniture, carpets, pet bedding, and window sills.
You should also sprinkle it on any other place you suspect flea activity in your home.
Shampoo or steam the carpet to remove any flea.
Dispose of the bag to prevent the eggs from developing in the bag.
In conclusion, there are also some other natural methods you can utilize to get rid of fleas naturally apart from the ones listed. They are:
11. Rosemary to Kill Fleas
Rosemary. It is a great home remedy for organic flea control products.
However, it is good to note that it can be used to treat light infestations as well as on pets and this largely depends on how to use it.
Here is how to make rosemary flea powder to get rid of flea
To make an herbal flea powder using rosemary, you will need to place this herb with some other natural products like wormwood, fennel, and peppermint into a pestle and mortar and grind them into powder form.
You should also note that rosemary is not as powerful as other natural remedies.
But it can help prevent the spread of flea in your home.
How to Get Rid of Fleas on Pets
You can also bath your pet. Bathing your pet often will also help rid your home of fleas.
Ensure you use a good antiseptic soap to get rid of the flea.
You can also use essential oil after bathing your oil.
Before you do, know that some dogs and cats may have problems with oils with Citrus, Cinnamon, Clove, D-limonene, Geranium, Tea tree, Lavender, Linalool, Bay, Eucalyptus, Pennyroyal, Rue.
You can call a Veterinary to get rid of fleas.
This is if after all other natural methods have not yielded any good result. Then you can consult a Veterinary Doctor.