Natural Home Remedies for Indigestion and Gas Relief – We all know that feeling when we eat our favorite foods and thereafter notice our stomach isn’t doing too great. Even though the condition is usually no cause for alarm, this feeling of indigestion can make you uncomfortable over a period.
Apart from that, indigestion can also give you a feeling of being full thereby making you eat less than you probably should.
This article will examine the causes, symptoms and home remedies for indigestion.
Indigestion, heartburn, and burping are things we all experience from time to time. It is that indigestion takes a toll on our body.
Not to worry, this article will take you through the remedies for heartburn and how to get rid of indigestion fast.
However, before we proceed, it is important to understand the condition; causes and symptoms and the home remedies for indigestion.
Causes of Indigestion
Also known as dyspepsia, indigestion is the general term that describes discomfort in the upper abdomen.
Though indigestion is not a disease on its own, it can make an individual feel very uncomfortable.
Hence the reason why most people are always in search of home remedies for indigestion.
Indigestion has many causes which spans across lifestyle and other digestive conditions.
Some of the many causes of indigestion include;
- Rushing your food
- Spicy, fatty or greasy foods
- Some pain relievers, iron supplements, and antibiotics can also cause indigestion
- Excess consumption of alcohol, carbonated beverages or caffeine.
- Peptic ulcers
- Inflammation of the stomach. Also known as Gastritis
- Celiac disease
- Intestinal blockage
- Inflammation of the Pancreas. Also known as Pancreatitis
- Reduction in the blood flow of the intestine. Also known as intestinal ischemia
- Stomach Cancer
Symptoms of Indigestion
There are also several symptoms that should indicate to you when you’re battling with indigestion.
Those that have indigestion usually have one or more of the following symptoms:
- Unusual fullness for a longer period after eating.
- You already feel full even though you have not eaten much of your food.
- Gases build up in the abdomen thereby you are feeling bloated in the upper abdomen.
- You feel discomfort in your upper abdomen
- You feel a burning sensation or an uncomfortable heat in your upper abdomen
11 Natural Home Remedies for Indigestion and Gas Relief
Having understood the causes and symptoms of indigestion, it’s time to look at the various home remedies for indigestion and gas.
This indigestion relief can be done from the comfort of your home and will help you cure indigestion fast.
Mint is rich in menthol that provides amazing benefits for those who are experiencing indigestion.
Menthol not only helps you to sweeten your breath, but it also helps to prevent diarrhea and vomiting.
Mint is also remarkable for helping to relieve pain and also reduce the spasms of muscles in your intestine.
It is popularly used in Pakistan, India, and Iran as a home remedy for indigestion, diarrhea and also gas (1).
You can either use raw or cooked mint leaves. Some people are even in the habit of boiling cardamom with mint leaves to make tea.
You can also make a mint leave powder or decide to make a juice out of it. Add them to your beverages, foods, and tea.
For those who love sucking on sweets, mint candy is another home remedy for indigestion and heartburn.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one ingredient that is a very effective home remedy for a range of conditions.
The effectiveness of apple cider vinegar also extends to serving as a home remedy for indigestion.
Indigestion is known to be triggered by a shortage of stomach acid. Therefore, drinking apple cider vinegar can help to boost the production of stomach acid in your body.
To use apple cider vinegar as a home remedy for indigestion.
- Take one to two teaspoons and make sure they are unpasteurized raw apple cider vinegar.
- Add these teaspoons to one cup of water and drink. This will help to give you fast relief.
- Apple cider vinegar can also help to prevent indigestion in the first place.
- To do this simply drink the same mixture of apple cider vinegar and water about 30 minutes before you eat.
- Make sure you do not drink apple cider vinegar in excess.
Neither should you take it undiluted.
Doing this can lead to other side effects such as nausea, low blood sugar, tooth erosion, and throat burn.
3. Fennel Seed
Fennel seed is an antispasmodic herb and is also one of the best home remedies for indigestion. It is very effective to remedy indigestion after a meal.
Fennel seed not only helps cure indigestion, but it is also useful against gastrointestinal conditions like nausea, bloating, and stomach cramping.
To use fennel seed to combat indigestion,
- Begin by adding half a teaspoon of the crushed fennel seed in water and leave it to boil for about 10 minutes.
- Then drink thereafter.
- Anytime you experience indigestion, drink this fennel tea.
Some people also love chewing fennel seed after eating. This will help to counter the effect of certain foods that cause indigestion.
4. Lemon water
Lemon water is popular for it’s an alkaline effect. This helps to neutralize the stomach acid and improve digestion.
Lemon water not only helps to aid digestion, but it is also known to contain vitamin C which is beneficial for your body.
To use lemon water as one of the best home remedies for indigestion,
- Begin by mixing one tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of either warm or hot water.
- Take this drink just a few minutes before eating.
However, you must be careful not to take lemon water in excess.
Note – Too much of it can wear down your tooth enamel and also cause an increase in urination. Always make sure you rinse your mouth with water just after you drink lemon water.
5. Baking Soda for Indigestion
Baking soda is regarded as one of the best home remedies for indigestion.
It is known to rapidly neutralize the stomach acid and relieve bloating, gas after a meal, and indigestion.
Also known as Sodium Bicarbonate, baking soda is relatively safe to use.
However, consuming it in large amounts can result in some side effects such as diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, muscle spasms, and irritability.
To use baking soda to cure indigestion,
- Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda to about 4 ounces of warm water.
- Thereafter, drink this mixture.
[alert-warning]Caution – For those over the age of 60, do not consume more than 3 half teaspoons of baking soda just to avoid experiencing those unwanted side effects[/alert-warning]
Research has discovered that adults should not consume more than 7 half a teaspoon of baking soda within a day. (2).
6. Ginger for Indigestion
Ginger is one ingredient that can be found in most kitchen over the world.
It is one of those popular ingredients that serves as home remedies for indigestion.
Too much stomach acid can cause indigestion, and this is where ginger comes in to play. It helps to reduce stomach acid.
There are different ways through which you can use ginger as one of the best home remedies for indigestion.
You can drink one cup of ginger tea to help soothe your stomach and cure indigestion.
- You can also make your own personal ginger tea or suck on ginger candy, whichever you chose.
- To make a ginger water, just boil one to two pieces of the ginger root with 4 cups of water.
- You can add flavor with honey or lemon and drink thereafter.
- Make sure you do not surpass three to four grams of ginger daily.
This is necessary to avoid side effects such as heartburn, throat burn, and gas.
7. Carom Seeds
Also known as ajwain, carom seeds serve as one of the best home remedies for indigestion.
It is popular for curing many digestive problems such as acidity, flatulence, and also indigestion.
Carom seed is also rich in enzymes that help to boost your digestive system. It does this by facilitating your body’s gastric juices.
To use carom seeds to cure indigestion, mix it with water and drink it for a week. You should see the difference within a week.
You can also mix ajwain powder with water. This will also help to relieve you from gastric condition.
Cinnamon is known to contain many antioxidants. These antioxidants help to reduce the fight off irritation and also ease digestion.
Cinnamon is also known to soothe the damage in your digestive tract.
To use cinnamon as one of the best home remedies for indigestion,
- Begin by adding a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to your meal.
- You can also add one inch of cinnamon sticks in place of cinnamon powder.
- You could also use cinnamon by mixing it with boiling water and make tea.
- Do this about 2 to 3 times every day to help cure indigestion.
Cloves are rich in substances that help reduce gas in your stomach.
They also help in increasing gastric secretions.
These properties of clove help to increase digestion, thereby reducing cramping and pressure.
Users have also sworn that cloves also help to reduce vomiting and nausea.
To use one of the best home remedies for indigestion,
- Begin by mixing 1 to 2 teaspoons of either powdered or ground cloves with a teaspoons of honey.
- Drink this mixture once daily just before you go to bed.
- For those who are experiencing heartburn and nausea, add 8 ounces of boiling water to the cloves to make a tea.
- Drink this tea at most twice every day.
Figs are known to contain many substances that not only serves as laxatives, they also help to encourage a healthy bowel movement and also ease constipation.
They also contain some compounds that also help to cure indigestion.
If you are experiencing indigestion, you should eat a whole fig fruit a few times every day. Do this until you feel the symptoms improving.
Also, you could brew 1 to 2 teaspoons of the fig leaves and make tea.
For those that are expecting diarrhea, it is extra important you stay away from figs.
11. Aloe Vera Juice
The aloe vera juice is also one of the best home remedies for indigestion.
Aloe vera contains incredible substances that help to improve protein digestion, reduce excess acid in the stomach, promote a balance of the digestive bacteria.
And also encourage the healthy movement of the bowel and the removal of toxins.
It is also said to be extremely helpful in reducing inflammation.
Studies have shown that those who drink aloe vera often find relief from symptoms such as belching, acid and food regurgitation, heartburn, vomiting and nausea, amongst others (3).
Though indigestion isn’t really serious illness, it can sometimes give you discomfort you don’t admire.
In addition to that, it also affects your appetite thereby making you eat less than you normally should.
This above home remedies for indigestion will help you cure indigestion right of the comfort of your home.
However, if the symptoms are getting worse, it is important you consult your doctor immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links, refer to our disclaimer