Earache is never a pleasant feeling. Ear pain can be a dull, painful, sharp or burning ear pain. Earache can be due to cold, ear infection, damage, earwax or an object in the ear.
Fortunately, there are different remedies one can utilize to get rid of an earache fast at home. These treatments can soothe an earache at home.
- Poor sleep
- Ear pain
- Ear drainage
- Sharp pain or a dull, continuous pain
Children can other symptoms, like:
- Muffled hearing
- A feeling of fullness in the ear
- Tugging at the ear
- A sharp stabbing pain
- Loss of balance
- A headache
- Loss of appetite
- Sleepless night
- Crying at night
Causes of Earaches
- A foreign object in the ear
- Strep throat
- Change in pressure, e.g flying on a plane
- Earwax accumulation
- Perforated eardrum
- Sinus infection
- Cotton swabs in the ear
How to Get Rid of Earache-11 Best Remedies for Pain
These 11 best remedies for pain are very effective and should be utilized to get rid of an earache. These treatments for ear pain are:
1. Olive Oil for an Earache
It is one of the best oils which is commonly used for cooking.
Olive oil has many benefits. These benefits are:
- Reducing the risk of heart disease
- Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes
- It can help treat rheumatoid arthritis, and
- It reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Olive oil is not linked to obesity or weight gain
Olive oil can be used to get rid of an earache. To apply drops of olive oil to your ear you can use a glass dropper, or a cotton swab filled with olive oil.
Allow the excess oil to drip into the ear. You can warm up the olive oil or just use room temperature for the olive oil.
Also, the oil should be slightly warm and not hot.
Ensure you test the temperature of the oil on your skin before using it.
Follow these instructions below on how to apply olive oil to get rid of an earache
- Lie down on your side and ensure the affected ear faces up.
- Gently pull the outer part of your ear backward and upward. This will enable you to open your ear canal properly.
- Now put 2 to 3 drops of olive oil into to the ear.
- Gently massage the skin which is at the front of the entrance to your ear canal.
- This will enable the oil to move easily into the ear.
- Stay still in that position for 5 minutes.
- Ensure you wipe any excess oil drop from your ear while you sit up.
- To treat an ear infection, ensure you use olive oil treatment twice in a day for 2-3 days.
You should note that the application of olive oil for an earache largely depends on the type of an earache.
Therefore, for ear wax removal, do this once a day for one to two weeks.
[alert-warning] Warning: Do not place cotton swabs or object inside your ear to remove wax because it can damage your ears.[/alert-warning]
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Ear Pain
Looking for how to stop an earache fast? Look no further! Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is one of the effective home remedies for an earache.
Apple cider vinegar is widely known for so many benefits.
It has antibacterial and antifungal properties which are good for getting rid of an earache.
ACV works by changing the PH level of the ear canal and this creates an environment where bacteria and viruses cannot survive or live in.
Here is how to apply Apple cider Vinegar
- Warm some apple cider vinegar and apply it to the infected ear with a cotton bud.
- Also, allow the apple cider vinegar to penetrate into the ear.
- Ensure you use organic apple cider vinegar to avoid getting fake ones.
- You can also dilute the apple cider vinegar with water before using it.
- Soak the bud with the diluted apple cider vinegar.
- Put the soaked bud inside your ear and leave it on for 5 minutes.
3. Garlic for Ear Pain
Did you know garlic can be used to get rid of an earache?
Yes, it can be used because it contains the right amount of antibacterial properties which fights away bacteria.
Garlic also has antiviral antifungal properties which when eaten can boost your immune system and fight away infection.
Garlic can get rid of a common cold, can reduce blood pressure, it can reduce cholesterol level and this improves your heart health.
The antioxidants in garlic can help to prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Eating garlic may help detoxify heavy metals in your body.
A study discovered that one of the components in garlic which is Allium sativum and some other herbal ingredients can get rid of an earache.
There are different ways to use garlic to get rid of an earache and they are:
You can purchase garlic oil online. You can also make garlic oil by following these steps below
- The peeled clove of garlic.
- Olive oil.
- A small pan.
- Small glass jar.
- A piece of cotton.
Follow these steps below for preparation
- Chop the peeled garlic.
- Add the garlic and oil to a heated small pan.
- Warm the oil and garlic on low heat.
- Turn the oil around the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat to cool.
- Sieve the garlic from the garlic pieces.
- Pour the garlic oil into the jar.
Read Also- 11 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Psoriasis Permanently
Here is how to use garlic oil
- Lie on your side and let the infected ear face up.
- Place 2 to 3 drops of warm garlic oil into the infected ear.
- Store the remaining oil properly.
Use Garlic Clove
Another way to use garlic to get rid of an earache is to it place a hole in the infected ear
Ingredients needed are:
- A peeled clove of garlic.
- A small piece of gauze.
- A clean cloth.
- Follow these steps below to use this method
- Peel the fresh clove
- Cut the tip from one end and remove the tip.
- Wrap the clove in a small piece of gauze before placing it into your ear.
- Twist the gauze so that you can have a small amount at the end of the garlic glove.
- Ensure you don’t push the garlic into your ear canal.
- Place a warm washcloth over your ear to relieve you of the pain.
[alert-warning] Warning: Never use this type of garlic remedy for children to avoid the garlic from entering their ears.[/alert-warning]
4. Tea Tree Oil for an Earache
This is a natural earache treatment. It is a well-known home remedy to get rid of an earache.
Tea tree oil is known for its antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties.
Tea tree oil can be used to treat eczema, dry skin and acne. It improves bad breath, it is a natural treatment for scabies.
It fights bacteria that can lead to serious respiratory tract infections and antiviral activity. Tea tree oil is helpful for fighting or even preventing congestion.
Tea tree oil is very effective in killing bacteria and fungus.
Note: If you are allergic to tea tree oil, it is best you dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil before using it. This will prevent any form of discomfort, swelling or skin reaction.
Ensure you dilute it with a carrier oil like olive oil or almond oil.
Homemade Ear Drops
- Tea tree oil ( Order Here)
- Carrier oil; Olive oil or almond oil
Here is how to apply tea tree oil to each ache.
Check the instructions to know the amount of dilution you need.
- Then, dilute it with a carrier oil.
- Place your head sideways and use a small dropper to add the few drops into your ears.
- Keep your head in that position for a minute.
- This will allow the liquid to move into the ear canal.
- Dab the excess oil from the ear if there is any left.
[ Read Also: Middle Ear Infection Treatments, Symptoms, and Causes ]
5. Coconut Oil for Ear Pain
Coconut oil is one of the earache treatments one can use to get rid of an earache.
One of the best reasons to use coconut oil is that it is safe to use and has no side effects, unlike other medicines.
Coconut oil kills a whole lot of fungus, parasites, bacteria, viruses etc.
It can protect your skin, hair and dental health, it can boost brain function in Alzheimer’s patients.
In addition, coconut oil can help you lose harmful abdominal fat.
Coconut oil is considered safe because it is not harmful to your skin and it does not need to be diluted with a carrier oil.
You should melt it slightly before using it. Ensure you use a quality oil for treatment of the ear infection or an earache.
- Coconut oil ( Buy Here)
- A cotton ball
Here is how to apply coconut oil for ear pain
- Lie down and carefully place several drops of coconut oil into the affected ear.
- Stay in that position for some minutes.
- Place a small piece of the cotton ball into the outer part of the ear.
- This prevents the oil from coming out of the ear.
[alert-warning]However, do not place coconut oil into the ear if the eardrum is injured. Instead, seek help from a health practitioner.[/alert-warning]
6. Vicks for an Earache
Vicks can be used as one of the home remedies to get rid of an earache.
- Vicks VapoRub ( Buy Here)
- Cotton ball
You can apply Vicks an earache by doing the following below:
- Drop a small amount of Vicks VapoRub on a cotton ball
- Place it in your ear for some hours,
- You can also do this for some days.
- This will help reduce the pain.
7. Castor Oil for Ear Wax
This is vegetable oil which is gotten from castor beans.
This oil is a multi-purpose vegetable oil that has been used over the years for different purposes.
Castor oil promotes wound healing. It has anti-inflammatory effects, reduces acne, fights fungus, and keeps your hair and scalp healthy.
Here is how to use castor oil for an earache
- Heat up the castor oil a bit.
- Drop a castor oil into the infected ear before going to bed.
- Put a cotton ball in the infected ear.
- Sleep on your side with your ear facing up.
- In the morning, ensure you clean your ear with a cotton swab.
- Repeat this during the week.
[ Read Also: 12 Home Remedies for Nasal Congestion to Clear a Stuffy Nose Instantly ]
8. Use Heat to Reduce Ear Pain
This is one of the earache treatments used to get rid of an earache.
Heat can be through an electric pad or hot pack can help decrease inflammation and pain in the ear.
- Warm water
- Electric pad or hot pack ( Order Here)
Follow these steps below to use heat for an earache
- Get a hot pad or soak a washcloth in warm water.
- Apply the hot pad on the infected ear for 20 minutes.
- Then place the hot pad on your neck and throat.
Note: If a child has an ear pain at night, you can also apply it to the child’s ear. However, never allow a child to use it without any proper supervision.
9. Use Onions
Onion is one of the home remedies for ear pain. Onions provide a lot of health benefits such as
- It may help regulate blood sugar
- Keeps your heart healthy
- Helps with depression,
- Aids sleep, and appetite
Onions also help to get rid of bacteria that can lead to tooth decay and gum issues.
Follow these steps on how to use onion to get rid of an earache
- Cut a fresh onion.
- Cover it in a fresh cloth.
- Hold it over your ear for 5-10 minutes.
- In addition, onions can be used as an ear pain drop.
- So put 2/3 drops of juice from grated onions into the ear.
[alert-note]Ensure you remove any pieces of onions from the juice before using it.[/alert-note]
10. Clear the Nose
Did you know that clearing the nose or draining the nose can help get rid of an earache fast?
Yes, and this is because an earache can be due to cold.
You can clear the nose with a saline spray or a gentle suction.
This is a good remedy for small children especially, but they find it not so pleasant.
[ Read Also: How to Get Rid of Cold Sores Fast: 11 Best Home Remedies ]
11. Hydrogen Peroxide for Earache
This is an effective remedy to get rid of an earache. Hydrogen peroxide can reduce ear wax.
This helps to relieve ear pain that is as a result of ear wax buildup.
Hydrogen peroxide also contains antibacterial, antifungal properties.
Ingredients needed for this earache remedy
Follow these steps below
- Mix an equal quantity of hydrogen peroxide and hot water.
- Lie down with the affected ear facing up and put a few drops of the mixture into the affected ear.
- Stay in that position for 12 minutes.
Now go ahead and apply these natural treatments for an earache
You should always apply caution when using any home remedy to treat ear infection or ear ache.
Kindly note that any infection that lasts longer than 48 hours should be treated by a Medical Doctor.
Also, if the infection results in fever or severe pain even after using a home remedy should be treated by a Medical Doctor.