DIY Face Moisturizers for Dry Skin – If you do have dry skin like me, then you should have first-hand experience as to how discomforting it can be. Actually, depending on the season, it can be quite a nuisance, making you seem not to be taking good care of yourself.
Sometimes, the agony of jumping from one lotion for dry skin, to another natural moisturizer and then to one advertised best face cream ever, can just be too overwhelming.
On my journey to discovering the best face moisturizers for dry skin, I did pick up a lot of information that I will be sharing with you as we progress in this post.
What is Dry Skin?
Oh! Please, can you get on with it already, you might say. I do understand your impatience. I really do.
You are here for a face moisturizer for dry, I mean you already know you have dry skin, right?
Or maybe not. Hence the need to actually tell, what a dry skin is or should be so that you can make intelligent decisions when it comes to skincare.
Dry skin is dull, rough, scaly and itchy with almost invisible pores according to WebMD. It is an uncomfortable condition marked by itching, scaling and scratching.
How can You Tell if You Have Dry Skin?
So you don’t go on another wild goose chase searching for the next lotion for dry skin.
You don’t want to use face cream for women or even another daily moisturizer that might not be exactly what your skin needs.
So how do you tell, that you to have dry skin so as to know the best face moisturizers for dry skin, you have to use?
- Do a Patch Skin Test:
After cleansing your face, take a piece of toilet paper.
And place on the part of the skin you cleansed preferably a part of your face, this is because your face gets exposed more.
After you’ve placed the piece of toilet paper n you face for a few seconds, remove it and check.
If there’s a patch of oil there, you do not have dry skin, but if the toilet paper is still dry, you do have dry skin.
- If your skin feels tight and dehydrated.
- Having a scaly and itchy feeling.
- If your skin cannot seem to last a few minutes without having a chalky or ashy appearance.
- Irritation and sometimes pain on the skin.
- If you have red or patchy skin.
Learn More– 10 Best Essential Oils for Cellulite and Stretch Marks Removal
Types of Dry Skin
Before we start to talk about the face moisturizer for dry skin that will be suitable for you, let’s take a look at different dry skins;
- Normal Dry Skin
This is the usual dry skin that comes as a result of chlorine in the pool that you probably used, or even changes in humidity and weather.
- Chronic Dry Skin
This is a different kind of dry skin resulting from certain skin issues example is eczema, acne, psoriasis and other forms of dry skins.
Most times, dry skin is not a result of a skin disorder, but by certain conditions, and extreme skin exposure to certain conditions.
Skin Exposure and Effects
If you enjoy having your long bath or staying long under the shower, you have to skip the bath totally and cut down your shower time drastically.
Even while in the bathroom, if you are shaving move the shower head away from you, so as to reduce the time you expose your skin to water even if you are not bathing.
Once you leave the bathroom, avoid toweling vigorously rather pat your skin in order to leave moisture on it.
The idea is to remove excess water no dry the skin totally.
Read Also: 11 Best Remedies to Tighten Face Skin Naturally at Home
Use of Soap for Bathing and Washing Clothes
Except you are a child or your work generates an enormous amount of dirt, most people do not get dirty while at school or work.
Ironically when taking baths, people tend to scrub continuously most times with soaps that foam excessively in a bid to be squeaky clean.
Ideally, the places that need to be bathed with soap are the groin, hands, feet, and face.
And if you are combating dry skin, stay away from antibacterial soaps and fragrance soaps.
The fragrances and lathering effect of most soaps strip the skin of essential oils, which if you have dry skin already, you may not have on excess.
You should stick to skin washes and maybe mild fragrance-free soap, especially if you are to use a face moisturizer for dry skin.
Using the Wrong Moisturizer
Having or combating dry skin can be herculean sometimes.
Often times, you are tempted to try every face moisturizer for dry skin, a natural moisturizer, hydrating face cream, etc. all in a bid to get the right one.
In doing so, we combine the wrong moisturizers and even use the ones that are having ingredients that are not compatible with our skin.
I know most DIY advisers will say, if you can eat it, you can put it on your skin. That does not hold true at every instance, especially if you are interested in the face moisturizer for dry skin.
Be on the lookout for ingredients that can lock and seal moisture into the skin.
The Clothes Material
Having dry skin is enough trouble on its own, so why add to it by wearing clothes that itch.
If you wear cloth and it itches the first time, do not continue. It won’t stop itching. Sometimes certain clothes contain irritants that dry skin find uncomfortable.
Wear cashmere if you can afford them or go for just plain cotton. Your skin will thank you for it.
When the air is dry especially during the winter months, the moisture in the skin evaporates more due to the drop in humidity.
This causes the sir to be so dry and cold.
Too much exposure to heat, even if it’s when the heater is turned on, can also lead to skin dryness.
Learn More– 5 Best DIY Face Mask for Acne, Scars, Anti-Aging, Glowing Skin, and Soft Skin
Before you pursue me with the cup of your exfoliating scrub, I did not say you should stop exfoliating.
Any self-respecting individual who is into skin care knows that exfoliation is a necessary step in achieving a hydrated skin.
Exfoliating goes bad when it’s down wrongly.
For example, it is a skin care regimen that should not exceed twice or thrice in a week especially if you have dry skin.
Frequency and the kind of products used will go a long way in this journey of choosing the best face moisturizers for dry skin.
This might appear to be a bummer. But it shouldn’t be. Sometimes, what causes dry skin might have more to do with your genes than any other factor.
If your mom or dad has dry skin, there are chances that you will also have dry skin.
Even though genes alone cannot take credit for dry skin, it does have a lot of influence as to the type of skin a person could have.
So beyond looking for the best DIY face moisturizer, you need to compare your skin to other people who may likely share the same genetic inheritance as you.
Now, that we’ve looked at some points that deal with the reasons for dry skin.
Let me then introduce to you of the best DIY face moisturizers for dry skin
5 Best DIY Face Moisturizers for Dry Skin + How to Use Them
1.Beeswax Facial Moisturizer for Dry Skin
In my search for the best of DIY face moisturizers for dry skin, I traversed the roads of interest in their entirety.
I saw many things, some good, some bad and some downright ugly.
Luckily I just make a little batch as a trial first to see how I and my skin will react to the mixtures.
I suggest you do the same.
To make the beeswax moisturizer, one of my best DIY face moisturizers for dry skin you will need the following
- Beeswax ¾ Ounce: ( order here) you could buy the bar or pellets, it doesn’t matter as long as you get the ones that are for cosmetic use and not for candles.
The beeswax serves as an emulsifier for the mixture of oil and water, that’s to say, it holds the two liquids which do not mix together, together.
Aloe Vera Gel: One cup will be enough. Get the aloe vera gel, trying to substitute with aloe vera juice will not work. The gel has all the properties needed.
- ¼ almond oil
- ¼ coconut oil
- Few drops of essential oil. ( e.g rosehip oil) When choosing your essential oil make sure you sample or taste them on your skin to make sure you don’t react or have any irritants.
- Double boiler or soap Melter ( order here )
These are the basic things needed for this DIY face moisturizer for dry skin. Feel free to experiment with the essential oil.
Also, check to make sure you are not allergic to any and they are also compatible with any medication you might b taking at the time.
So here’s how to make it.
- Using the chocolate melter, melt the coconut oil and beeswax in the almond oil.
- Pour the melted oils into your blender and allow to sit for about hr30mins.
- It’s very important you allow the oils to cool before you blend.
- Mix the essential oil into the cup of the Aloe Vera gel.
- Start blending and slowly pour the essential oil and aloe Vera mixture into the blender. Allow it all to blend till it’s fluffy. It looks like a real lotion, believe me.
- That’s all. Your DIY face moisturizer for dry skin is ready to be used. Just pour a little into a small container, and store the rest in the refrigerator.
Mind you, it’s not to last for so long though. So if it doesn’t smell right after a while, don’t use it.
Another one on the list of best face moisturizers for dry skin is:
Learn More– How to Get Rid of Blackheads Fast- 9 Effective Natural Remedies
2. Shea Butter Facial Moisturizer
Shea butter is known for its ability to lock in moisture in the skin without leaving a greasy feel.
It is also used to get rid of fine lines.
- 2 tablespoon shea butter
- I tablespoon Vitamin E
- ¼ Cup of Jojoba Oil.
- 1 cup of distilled water- this will keep the mixture fresher for longer.
- 15 drops each of frankincense and lavender oils.
- 1 tablespoon emulsifying wax
- ½ of NeoDefend ( buy one here ) this is an organic preservative
- Have a medium pot filled with water until it’s half full.
- Heat wax and oils
- Heat the neodefend and water in another double boiler
- Once the neodefend has dissolved and the wax melted, you mix the two together after their temperature is around 160.
- Use a hand blender to mix your oil and water mixture together for about one minute.
- Allow the mixture to sit for about 15 minutes, this is to ensure that the emulsifying wax is holding them well together.
- Mix again and then allow to cool.
- Once your mixture is cool, you can then pour into containers.
Learn More– How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Acne : 11 Powerful Tea Tree Oil Recipes
3. Ultra Moisturizing Facial Lotion
- 1 tbsp shea butter
- ¼ tbsp. emulsifying wax (Buy Here)
- 2 tbsp grapefruit seed oil
- 4 drops rosemary essential oil
- 8 drops lavender essential oil.
- 4 drops frankincense essential oil
- 2 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 1/8 tbsp vegetable glycerine.
Read Also- 11 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Psoriasis Permanently
- Put your stove/glass on medium heat.
- Place a medium-sized pot filled half full of a glass pyrex cup in it.
- Add shea butter and wax to the cup and melt
- Once melted allow to cool
- Add aloe vera with all the essential oils and whisk until all the ingredients combine.
- Allow the lotion to cool, and store.
Note that this lotion has no preservatives, so make in small batches.
Learn More– How to Get Rid of Acne on Forehead Overnight-11 Best Acne Remedies
4. Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
- 1/3 cup shea butter
- 2 tbsp of rosehip oil
- 1 tbsp almond oil
- ½ tbsp. vitamin E.
- 2 tbsp argan oil
- 1 tbsp cocoa butter
- Using a double boiler, melt the cocoa and shea butter
- After butter has melted, add argan.rosehipand almond oils and mix very well.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, then add the essential oil and vitamin E.
- Whisk till the mixture is fluffy.
- Your cream is ready to be poured into containers.
Read Also- How to Get Rid of Varicose Veins Fast: 14 Best Natural Remedies for Varicose Veins
5. Face Moisturizing Mask with Honey
Using a cream or lotion to moisturize the face is wonderful, but if you have a dry skin you cannot afford to not use a mask on your face in your skin care regimen.
Honey is an all-time beauty secret that has been used for so long.
And this mask I’m about to share with you is my all time favorite and one amongst the five best DIY face moisturizers.
- 1 tbsp raw honey.
- A tbsp buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk.
Read More- Top 11 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Stretch Marks in a Week
- Put all the ingredients in a clean bowl and whisk into a smooth paste.
- Apply to the face as a mask, leave on the face for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Then apply any of the above -listed face cream or lotion.
To get the best from these listed best DIY face moisturizers for dry skin, you need to sterilize all your pots, bowl, whisk before using them for the mixture.
Recommended Face Moisturizer Products for Dry Skin
- Unscented Organic Blend Oil (order now)
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (order now)
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost (order now)
- Organic Face Moisturizer For Dry Sensitive Combination Skin (order now)
Dry skin can be a pain. Luckily, there are things you can do to manage it. We have given you a lot of information you can use to your advantage.
All you have to do is follow them. Toast to supple skin.
Hi! This looks great, for the first moisturizes have you tried using jojoba oil instead of coconut oil? Coconut oil clogs up my pores so I wanted to try it with something else, did you happen to try it with jojoba or grapeseed?
Hello Lindsey. For the first moisturizer, I have not tried it with jojoba nor grapeseed. But you can give it a try. For me, coconut oil works perfectly!