Diaper rash is quite common and it can leave the child with a feeling of discomfort. This explains why mothers most especially are always in search of ways to get rid of diaper rash and they feel unsettled till they can discover raw diaper rash treatment.
Diaper rash is generally known as a type of skin irritation and it is the most common type of skin inflammation.
The diaper rash appears as a patchwork on the bright red skin of the baby’s buttocks, and It appears under the diaper area.
It occurs in infants and children under the age of 2 years.
It is known that diaper rash occurs in almost all children will have a diaper rash at least once during the first 3 years of life.
Causes of Diaper Rash
Diaper rash can be as a result of different factors. Here are the different causes of diaper rash.
Irritation can lead to a diaper rash and this is due to the prolonged exposure of the baby’s bottom to urine or stool.
This can make your baby’s skin sensitive which can lead to a diaper rash.
In addition, a baby may be more vulnerable to diaper rash if he or she has a frequent bowel movement or diarrhea.
This is because feces can lead to more irritation than urine.
Skin Irritation from a New Product
Most baby’s skin is usually very sensitive and as such, they can easily react to baby wipes, a new product of diaper, baby cream, fabric, detergent.
Some of the other substances can also lead to diaper rash.
Also, some of the ingredients found in the baby’s powder and oil can lead to diaper rash.
This can lead to friction on the baby’s skin which later leads to skin irritation because these diapers are too close to the skin.
A skin infection can easily spread to the surrounding areas of the body.
The surrounding areas are the buttocks, genitals, thighs and this is because they are usually wet and moist.
This makes it quite easy for the bacteria and yeast infection to spread towards that area leading to diaper rash.
Use of Antibiotics
It is a common knowledge that antibiotics kill bacteria which includes the good and the bad kind of bacteria.
Due to this fact, the use of antibiotics can kill the good bacteria that helps to ensure there is no growth of yeast infection and this can lead to a diaper rash.
Also, the use of antibiotics can increase the risk of one having diarrhea.
This explains why mothers who take antibiotics during the breastfeeding stage can increase the risk of their child having a diaper rash.
Introduction to New Foods
Over time, the baby’s diet changes and due to that, the content of their stool also changes.
The changes can increase the likelihood of having a diaper rash.
This is because the frequency of the baby’s stool tends to increase as a result of the baby’s new diet.
Also, a change in a breastfeeding mother’s diet can lead to a diaper rash.
Babies who have a skin condition such as eczema may be more likely to develop a diaper rash.
Diaper Rash Symptoms
The symptoms of diaper rash are:
Red skin and skin irritation. This may appear all over the baby’s buttocks.
Diaper rash usually appears on the area of the skin which is immediately under the diaper area.
The diaper skin area is itchy, broken and cracked in appearance.
Babies cry and fuss when the diaper area is touched and washed.
Spots and blisters in the diaper area are more severe forms of the rash.
They are in the form of bright red patches and may have very painful open sores.
Changes or irrational behavior showing discomfort occur more frequently during a diaper change.
Types of Diaper Rash
These are rashes which are caused by irritants such as urine and feces.
This type is quite common. They usually appear red and shiny.
The area may also feel warm to touch.
This rash is usually seen in hidden areas such as the folds of the skin.
It can also be seen on the buttocks, thighs, genitals, and stomach.
This is also commonly called yeast. This type of rash has a deep red color.
They appear as patches or plaque on the diaper area.
This type of infection can become serious if not treated as urgent as possible.
Other symptoms of this type of diaper rash are diaper rash bleeding, high fever, weeping, and lethargy, blood in the baby’s poop, pus-filled bumps with a red base.
11 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Diaper Rash in 24 Hours
Here are the 9 natural remedies to get rid of diaper rash in 24 hours
Breastfeeding provides many benefits for the mother and the baby.
The benefits of breastfeeding are:
- It protects the baby against allergies and eczemas.
- Reduces the risk of inflammatory bowel disease, ear infection, and respiratory infection.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of sudden infant death.
- It increases the bond between the mother and the child.
- Prevents the child against diseases such as spinal meningitis, type 1 diabetes.
- For a mother, exclusive breastfeeding may help promote weight loss.
- It helps the uterus to contract.
- Lowers the risk of depression.
- Breastfeeding may reduce the risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
- Breastfeeding provides many antibodies for the body and provides natural anti-infective properties.
Take a small amount of breast milk and apply it gently on the diaper area.
However, kindly note that you should not do this if the cause of the rash is yeast overgrowth.
This is because the sugar in your breastmilk can increase the yeast and make the rash get worse.
2. Oatmeal Bath for Diaper Rash
It can be used as one of the remedies to get rid of diaper rash.
Oatmeal for diaper rash treatment is one of the known ways of getting rid of diaper rash.
Benefits of the oatmeal bath are
- Soothes sunburn.
- It improves blood circulation.
- Can be used as a body wash.
- It soothes skin conditions such as chickenpox, baby acne, eczema, insect and mosquito bites.
For diaper rash, an oatmeal bath can get rid of the redness and soreness on your baby’s buttocks.
You can order for oatmeal bath products on Amazon or make your at home
Here is how to make an oatmeal bath
- Blend 1 cup of oatmeal and ensure it is smooth enough.
- Pour the powder in a tub of running warm water and stir to ensure even distribution.
- Get your baby inside it to soak in for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently rub the oatmeal into the skin of your baby.
3. Cornstarch for Diaper Rash
Cornstarch is also known as cornflour. It provides the following benefits:
It can be used as a deodorant. Reduce the negative effects of a bug bite.
- Get rid of skin irritation.
- Removes oily stain.
- It serves as a remedy for oily hair.
- Soothes sunburn.
- Removes bloodstain.
- Treats underarm rashes.
- It also treats under breast rashes.
- Removes excess furniture polish.
Ingredients needed for cornstarch are:
- 2 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Mix the coconut oil with cornstarch to form a paste.
- Apply it on the dry diaper area.
- It will absorb moisture and keep the area dry and it also does not have any harmful chemical on it.
4. Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Diaper Rash
Now add 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar, such as apple cider vinegar “with a mother”, diluted with a half cup of water can help get rid of baby’s diapering irritation.
Just a little drop to a washcloth and pat on baby’s clean bottom.
Let the affected area dry and diaper as usual.
After a few days, the area should be less red and softer than before.
If the diaper rash is severe, this may sting baby a little, so be gentle.
5. Coconut oil for Diaper Rash Treatment
Coconut oil can be used for one of the remedies to get rid of diaper rash.
Benefits of coconut oil
- Increase the fat burning process.
- Kills harmful microorganisms.
- May reduce seizures.
- It protects the skin, hair and provides good dental health.
- Helps to get rid of abdominal fat.
- It helps to reduce skin inflammation, itching, and irritation.
- Promotes healing.
Rub coconut oil on the diaper area but ensure you apply a small quantity of it.
6. Baby Diaper Rash Cream
This is one of the major remedies to get rid of diaper rash.
It can be used for diaper rash treatment.
You can order for baby diaper rash cream on online or make it yourself
Ingredients needed for baby diaper rash cream
Directions for making the baby diaper rash cream
- Melt all ingredients together slowly in a pan.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and place the bowl in an ice bath.
- Blend the mixture until it turns creamy
- Store it in a glass jar at room temperature.
- Make sure the mixture gets hard and thicken when cooled.
- Apply it on your baby’s diaper rash area.
7. Aloe Vera Gel Remedy for Diaper Rash
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of diaper rash.
It is also generally known as the purest form of treatment which provides healing for all kinds of rashes, cuts, irritation and itchy skin.
Aloe vera gel works by absorbing the moisture in the diaper area thereby making the area moisture free and dry to get rid of the diaper rash.
Benefits of Aloe vera gel
- Reduces dental plaque.
- Treats canker sores.
- Reduce constipation.
- Improves skin and may prevent wrinkles.
- Lower blood sugar level.
8. Shea Butter
Shea butter provides one of the natural remedies to get rid of diaper rash in 24 hours.
It is best for treating severe diaper rash.
Benefits of shea butter
- Moisturizes dry skin.
- Treats acne and blemishes.
- Reduces skin inflammation.
- Provides relief to itchy and peeling skin.
- Reduces stretch marks.
- It serves as excellent hair care.
- Repairs damaged hair.
- Prevents hair loss.
- Treat split ends and breakage.
Unrefined shea butter is an excellent natural remedy to get rid of diaper rash. It is free from any kind of chemicals.
This can be applied after having a bath. It is also gentle and soft on the skin.
9. Baking Soda for Diaper Rash
You can use 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a warm bath to treat diaper rash and reduce the redness associated with diaper rash.
A warm bath and a little baking soda will soothe baby’s skin and give your kid a break from the pain of a diaper rubbing against the affect diaper area.
Note, do not rub the area, just let baby soak a little longer than usual in the bath, about 7-10 minutes.
Then wipe with a soft washcloth as you would normally during bath time.
10. Use Yogurt for Diaper Rash
Plain yogurt is a good natural remedy to get rid of diaper rash.
It is a great option for children and babies who have very sensitive skin.
Nursing mothers can take plain yogurt to transfer the nutrients to their babies.
For babies who already take solid food, you can include yogurt to their existing food plan.
You can also apply plain yogurt on your baby’s skin.
Ensure you apply it to cover the entire skin rash area. Keep applying it till the rash is cleared.
Benefits of yogurt
- It controls blood pressure.
- Assists with weight loss.
- Builds immunity.
- Prevents yeast infection.
- It is good for the bones.
- Promotes good digestive health.
- It may strengthen your immune system.
11. Use Unscented Soap
One of the effective natural remedies to get rid of diaper rash is by using unscented soap
Scented soaps and detergents can be harsh on your baby’s skin which can lead to a diaper rash.
Therefore, it is only important you use unscented soap for a diaper rash treatment.
How to Prevent Diaper Rash
- Use natural ointment regularly
- Practice good hygiene
- Avoid overtighten diapers
- If you use cloth diapers, careful washing can help prevent diaper rash
- Change diapers often
- Use warm water to rinse the baby’s bottom before each diaper change
Apart from the natural remedies to get rid of diaper rash, there are other ways which are: olive oil, use of cranberry juice and allowing the area to receive air.
However, if after a while, there are no visible improvements, you must consult your doctor immediately.