Oily skin can be a sort of nightmare when not managed properly. It can present different skin problems such as acne, pimples, etc. One of the challenges people with oily skin face from time to time is how to get rid of oily skin fast.
But, not to worry, we have 9 best remedies on how to get rid of oily skin below
However, before we go further, we would love to explain the various causes of oily skin. Please find these causes below:
Causes of Oily Skin
Enlarged pores can be due to aging, fluctuation in weight, previous acne and pimples breakouts on the face.
These various reasons listed above can lead to more oil production on the face and this can lead to having oily skin.
Using the wrong Skincare Products
Other times, oily skin can be as a result of using the wrong skincare product on your face.
Some people might use a heavy cream on their sensitive face which can lead to acne and pimple breakouts on the face.
Therefore, it is important you contact a competent skin care specialist before using a skincare product on your face.
This will help to prevent oily skin.
Your genetics can play a major role in your skin type.
If one of your parents has oily skin, you are most likely to have one.
The only best solution is to manage the situation effectively to prevent breakouts on the face.
Skipping your Moisturizer
Moisturizer is very important and should not be skipped during your skincare routine.
It is a misconception that moisturizer can lead to oily skin.
Instead, it is the reverse because you need a moisturizer to treat oily skin and to get rid of dry skin.
Excessive Skincare Routine
Do you know that washing your face too often can make your skin oily?
Yes, it can. This is because it can strip your face off too much oil.
This can make the sebaceous glands to go into an emergency mode to produce excessive oil to replace the lost ones.
Hence, it is recommended that you only wash your face twice in a day to keep the excess oil away from your face.
Failure to Use a Sunscreen
Sunscreen can protect your oily skin from harmful sunray which does more harm than good to your skin.
Read More–Best DIY Self-Tanning Oil and Lotion to Tan Your Skin
The Climatic Condition of a Place
The climatic condition of a place will also have a positive impact on our skin.
People tend to have oily skin during the hot, humid and summer period.
You can use a matte moisturizer to allow it to soak up the extra oil on your skin.
Signs of an Oily Face
So, what are the signs of an oily face? They are as follows:
- Clogged pores.
- Whiteheads or blackheads.
- Large pores on your facial skin.
- Persistently occurring pimples.
- Rough or thick skin.
- Greasiness on the face.
How to Get Rid of Oily Skin Fast At Home: 9 Best Natural Remedies
Below are ways to get rid of oily skin fast
1. Wash Your Face
One of the ways to get rid of oily skin is fast at home is to wash your face twice in a day.
Ensure you wash your face with warm water and a gentle cleanser.
Also, make sure the water has a balanced PH level to prevent it from over stripping your skin from it needed moisture.
You should also avoid using soaps with strong fragrances or moisturizer.
This is because these products can make your skin to produce excess oil.
You can also use exfoliate your oily skin which is good to get rid of excess oil and to make your skin glow.
Read Also– How to Get Rid of a Canker Sore in 24 Hours: 11 Best Canker Sore Treatments
2. Use Honey to Get Rid of Oily Skin
Honey is a natural product that you can add to your skincare routine.
You can also make use of it to make an oily skin face mask.
Honey hydrates your skin and reduces the secretion of oil naturally.
Also, the presence of antimicrobial properties can help to prevent the breakouts of acne.
Honey also provides other benefits, which are:
- The presence of antioxidants in honey can help to lower blood pressure level in the body.
- It helps to improve the cholesterol level.
- Honey can help to promote burn a wound healing.
- It helps to suppress cough in children and adults.
Here is how to make use of honey to get rid of oily skin
- Get 2-3 teaspoons of honey.
- Wash your hands with clean water.
- Use your hand to get a reasonable amount of honey.
- Now, use your fingertips to massage it into your face.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Ensure you do it once daily.
3. Aloe Vera for Oily Skin Treatment
Another effective home remedy on how to get rid of oily skin fast is by using aloe vera. This natural product contains so many benefits which are:
- It speeds up the healing process of burns.
- Reduces dental plaque when used for tooth decay and gum disease.
- Treats canker sores.
- It reduces constipation.
- Lowers blood sugar level in the body.
Aloe vera performs its function of getting rid of excess oil in the skin due to its moisturizing properties. These properties can help to reduce the enlarged pores.
Here are steps to follow to make use of aloe vera
- Apply it all over your face.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off after the 30 minutes.
- Ensure you do this once daily.
Read Also- How to Get Rid of Varicose Veins Fast: 14 Best Natural Remedies for Varicose Veins
4. Oatmeal for Skincare
Oatmeal is not only nutritious for your internal organs; it is also great for your face.
It can be used to get rid of oily skin forever.
This nutritious cereal contains a powerful ultraviolet absorber that can protect your skin from the sun.
It also contains moisturizing cleansing and anti-inflammatory agent.
It can be used to control your skin from producing too much sebum which can help to prevent acne.
Oatmeal also reduces irritation and redness of the skin.
Ingredients needed are
- Half teaspoon of oatmeal
Procedures for using oatmeal to get rid of oily skin
- Mix half teaspoon of oatmeal with a little water to form a thick paste.
- Apply it on your face.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Now, rinse it off with water.
- Do this once a day.
Read Also: 11 Best Remedies to Tighten Face Skin Naturally at Home
5. Egg Mask for Oily Skin Remedy
Egg mask can be used to get rid of oily skin nose and oily face.
It can also help in firming up the skin.
This is achieved by stimulating the human dermal fibroblasts to produce more collagen.
This process will help to reduce or shrink your pores and this help to control oil on your face.
Ingredients needed to get rid of oily skin are:
- 1 egg white
- Cotton balls
- Separate the whites from the yolk
- Whisk the egg white
- Apply it on your face and your neck using the cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with plain water.
- Do this 1-2 times in a week.
Read More- How to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair in 5 Minutes: 11 Home Remedies That Work
6. Use Lemon
Lemon is an effective natural product that you can use to get rid of oily skin.
Most oil skin treatments dermatologists also recommend lemon in treating oily skin.
Lemons are rich in citric acid and this acid helps to shrink the pores and control the production of sebum.
Also, lemon contains antimicrobial properties that can help to get rid of acne producing bacteria in the face.
Ingredients needed are as follows:
- 2 teaspoons of lemon (Squeezed out from the juice).
- Cotton balls
- Glycerine (Optional for sensitive skin only)
Follow the steps below to apply it on your face
- Mix the 2 teaspoons of lemon with water.
- Add glycerine into the mix if you have sensitive skin.
- Utilize a cotton ball to apply it on your face.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this 1-2 times per week.
Read More- Top 11 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Stretch Marks in a Week
7. Jojoba Oil
This oil is similar to sebum. It works by tricking the skin to produce lesser oil and this prevents your skin from break out.
The oil is a liquid that comes from the seed of Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) plant.
The plant is common in Southern California, Northwestern Mexico, and Southern Arizona.
The oil is known to be a carrier oil for essential oils.
The benefits of jojoba oil are:
- Moisturizes the skin.
- It can be used as a safe makeup remover.
- Prevents razor burns.
- Promotes good skin and hair health.
Ingredient needed to make use of jojoba oil to get rid of oily skin is:
- 1-2 teaspoon of jojoba oil.
Procedures to follow in applying this oil are:
- Ensure your hands are thoroughly washed.
- Use your fingertip to apply a small amount of the oil on your face.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with clean water
- Do this at least once daily.
8. Use Cucumber for Face Mask
Cucumber has been known for providing facial skin treatments for both the young and the old.
You can include cucumber in your skincare routine to get rid of oily skin.
This natural product works by maintaining the natural oil of the skin, this helps to keep it intact.
Cucumber also nourishes the skin because it contains some cooling properties.
Cucumber keeps oil away from the skin which helps to fight away acne from the face.
It also helps to reduce the acne spot on the face, dark circle and face pigmentation.
It is also rich in magnesium and vitamin A which makes the skin glow and flourish.
- Raw cucumber
Steps on how to apply the cucumber facial mask
- Mix the cucumber and yogurt.
- Apply it on your face.
- Leave it on for 35 minutes.
- Now, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Ensure you apply it 2-3 times in a week.
9. Tomatoes and Sugar Home Remedy For Oily Face
Tomatoes contain some healthy properties which can be used to treat acne and excess oil in the face.
The acidic nature of tomatoes also helps to reduce the level of the oil and to fight away skin blemishes.
Tomatoes contain vitamin c and magnesium which helps to reduce pigmentation of the skin and it also dark circles around the eyes.
Procedure to follow
- Cut tomatoes into two halves and apply sugar on them.
- Apply it on your face and ensure you do it in a circular motion.
- Leave it on your face for 10 minutes to settle in properly.
- Once done, wash it off your face with clean water and apply moisturizer on your face.
- Ensure you do this twice a week.
Apart from the listed home remedies to get rid of oily skin, you can use essential oils for oily skin.
These essential oils are Rosemary essential oil, cedarwood essential oil, lavender essential oil, jasmine essential oil amongst others.
Ensure you dilute these essential oils with a carrier oil before using them because they are highly concentrated and can lead to skin irritation.
Ensure you give these home remedies a try.